Creation of the environmental space in the library
Charitable organization ‘Library country’
Kyiv Public Library for Children
Environmental protection projects are poorly developed in the libraries of Ukraine. There was a free premises in the Kyiv public library and the desire of librarians to start an educational project on nature protection. Together with the Charity “Library country” the joint project was established.
The Library together with Charity Foundation “Library Country” started to implement the project “Green Library” in the beginning of 2019. The aim of the project was to create an eco-friendly space for sustainable issues education for families.
What Has Already Been Done:
- A fundraising campaign was launched on the community platform https://biggggidea.com/project/zelena-biblioteka/ and 1000 USD were already collected for purchasing the furniture
- Books on environmental topics were purchased thanks to the philanthropists
- Educational activities on environmental issues are carried out on the regular basis
- Partnerships with environmental initiatives have been established, and the library functions as a free platform for meetings, discussions, events
The New Space Will Include:
- Creative eco-design (natural colors, natural materials)
- Decor elements from recycled materials
- A selection of books and e-media on environmental topics
- Thematic educational program
- Collaboration with eco-activists and initiatives
The Library is modern and active, well-known in the community and seeks to develop and deliver new services. Renovation & new design is almost done, and the space will be visually attractive and original and become the place of gravity for children, parents, eco-activists.
The local community is well aware of the project and is actively involved. The educational activities on environmental issues are carried out on a regular basis. The project is a pilote for Kyiv city and seen as the model for other libraries.